Friday, February 25, 2011

The New Direction

Good Morning! As I write this, it is truly morning; 4:44 am Eastern Standard Time. In a few weeks some of the clocks in my house, at this time of day, will indicate an hour later because the magical “spring forward” time change will have occurred, but it will still be, by my personal standards, VERY early. I digress. (Yesterday, at work, I spoke with someone who had been declared, for the day, Random Thought Girl. I wonder if that’s the tattoo I will finally get?)
This particular Random Thought has, as they often do, brought us back to the beginning. Today I begin a new journey and inviting you to join me if you’d like. My intention is journal about my work.

First I want to define “work” because It is a word I use in several significantly different ways:

I have a day job. I am blessed to be paid to help people. I am a Benefits Counselor for a state retirement system. I refer to the day job with phrases like, “going to work” “being at work” and “getting ready for work”.
                                              This is "where I go to work":

                                       And a close-up of my "at work" friend:
                                                                      

I am an artist (and I have 2 official degrees to prove it!). I refer to the pieces I make as “my work” and their production as “working”. My non-artist BFF has explained to me, after a few confused conversations, that these definitions are not intuitive, as I had assumed.
                                                      This is a my "work":

                                                        This is me "working"     
                                                                                                                         
                      And so it begins. But first, I need to get ready to "go to work"

No comments:

Post a Comment